By John Morreall,Robert Mankoff
- Offers an enlightening and available foray into the intense enterprise of humor
- Reveals how common theories of humor fail to provide an explanation for its actual nature and truly aid conventional prejudices opposed to humor as being delinquent, irrational, and foolish
- Argues that humor’s advantages overlap considerably with these of philosophy
- Includes a foreword via Robert Mankoff, caricature Editor of The New Yorker
Read or Download Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics) PDF
Similar aesthetics books
The publication proposes a suite of unique contributions in examine components shared through making plans thought, architectural learn, layout and moral inquiry. The individuals accrued in 2010 on the Ethics of the outfitted atmosphere seminar prepared by means of the editors at Delft college of expertise. either widespread and rising students provided their researches within the components of aesthetics, technological dangers, making plans thought and structure.
In New Philosophy for brand spanking new Media, Mark Hansen defines the picture in electronic artwork in phrases that transcend the only visible. Arguing that the "digital picture" encompasses the total approach during which info is made perceivable, he areas the physique in a privileged place -- because the agent that filters details to be able to create pictures.
Johann Nikolaus Tetens (1736-1807) gehörte zu den prägenden Gestalten der europäischen Aufklärung, und zwar sowohl innerhalb der Philosophie, im Kontext sprachtheoretischer und ästhetischer Diskurse, als auch in einer Reihe von Einzelwissenschaften (etwa der Mathematik und der Naturforschung). All diese Werkbereiche werden im vorliegenden Band von overseas renommierten Forschern eingehend betrachtet.
Today’s movie students draw from a dizzying variety of theoretical perspectives—they’re simply as more likely to cite thinker Gilles Deleuze as they're to cite vintage movie theorist André Bazin. To scholars first encountering them, those theoretical lenses for viewing movie can look exhilarating, but additionally overwhelming.
- The Cosmos and the Creative Imagination (Analecta Husserliana)
- Aesthetics beyond the Arts: New and Recent Essays
- The Aesthetics and Ethics of Copying
- Melville and Aesthetics
Extra info for Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics)
Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics) by John Morreall,Robert Mankoff