By Mark E. Garrett
Viewing transportation throughout the lens of current social, financial, and coverage elements, this four-volume reference paintings explores the subject of transportation throughout a number of disciplines in the social sciences and similar parts, together with geography, public coverage, enterprise, and economics.
The book’s articles, all written via specialists within the box, search to respond to such questions as: What has been the legacy, not only economically yet politically and socially to boot, of President Eisenhower’s sleek interstate street approach in the USA? With that method and the infrastructure that helps it now in a kingdom of decline and rot, what’s the simplest course for the longer term at a time of large financial constraints? Should California politicians plunge forward with plans for a high-speed rail that each specialist says—despite the allure—will move principally unused and may by no means pay again the large funding whereas at this very second potholes cross unfilled all around the country? What direction is better for rising nations to maintain velocity with dramatic monetary development for his or her half? What are the social and fiscal expenditures of gridlock in our towns?
- Approximately 675 signed articles authored via favourite students are prepared in A-to-Z type and finish with additional Readings and pass references.
- A Chronology helps readers positioned person occasions into ancient context; a Reader’s consultant organizes entries by means of extensive topical or thematic parts; a close index is helping clients quick find entries of so much speedy curiosity; and a source advisor presents an inventory of journals, books, and institutions and their web content.
- While articles have been written to prevent jargon up to attainable, a Glossary offers fast definitions of technical phrases.
- To ascertain complete, well-rounded insurance of the sector, the final Editor with services in city making plans, public coverage, and the surroundings labored along a Consulting Editor with a heritage in Civil Engineering.
- The index, Reader’s consultant, and pass references mix for thorough search-and-browse features within the digital version.
Available in either print and digital codecs, Encyclopedia of Transportation is an incredible reference for libraries and those that are looking to discover the problems that encompass transportation within the usa and round the world.
By Adrian Stokes
This quantity is a part of a 2001 reissue of a variety of these very important works that have due to the fact long past out of print, or are tricky to find. released via Routledge, 112 volumes in overall are being introduced jointly below the identify The foreign Behavioural and Social Sciences Library: Classics from the Tavistock Press.
Reproduced right here in facsimile, this quantity was once initially released in 1958 and is obtainable separately. the gathering can also be on hand in a couple of themed mini-sets of among five and thirteen volumes, or as a whole collection.
By Miklós Rédei,Michael Stöltzner
There exist a number of well known books on his character and diverse collections targeting his achievements in arithmetic, computing device technology, and financial system. surprisingly sufficient, so far no special appraisal of his seminal contributions to the mathematical foundations of quantum physics has seemed. Von Neumann's thought of dimension and his critique of hidden variables grew to become the touchstone of such a lot debates within the foundations of quantum mechanics. this day, his identify additionally figures such a lot prominently within the mathematically rigorous branches of modern quantum mechanics of enormous platforms and quantum box idea. and eventually - as one in every of his final lectures, released in this quantity for the 1st time, exhibits - he thought of the relation of quantum common sense and quantum mechanical likelihood as his most crucial challenge for the second one half the 20th century.
the current quantity embraces either old and systematic analyses of his technique of mathematical physics, and of some of the points of his paintings within the foundations of quantum physics, akin to conception of size, quantum good judgment, and quantum mechanical entropy. the quantity is rounded off through formerly unpublished letters and lectures documenting von Neumann's pondering quantum conception after his 1932 Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics.
the overall a part of the Yearbook comprises papers rising from the Institute's annual lecture sequence and reports of vital courses of philosophy of technological know-how and its history.
By Alexis Aronowitz
Offering an updated and complete source for college kids and basic readers investigating human trafficking, this ebook examines the phenomenon in its many varieties, the criteria contributing to its lifestyles, the sufferers it impacts, and those that perpetrate this awful crime.
• offers readers with a better realizing of the complexities of human trafficking—from loss of readability within the definition to the matter of selecting victims—and how human trafficking differs from human smuggling
• allows a better appreciation for the social, monetary, cultural, and environmental components that give a contribution to human trafficking and indicates how those crimes could be addressed
• indicates measures which were brought and has to be utilized extra broadly to strive against trafficking and safeguard strength victims
Download PDF by R.H. Popkin,Ezequiel de Olaso ,Giorgio Tonelli : Scepticism in the Enlightenment (International Archives of
By R.H. Popkin,Ezequiel de Olaso ,Giorgio Tonelli
By Kirsten Campbell
Kirsten Campbell engages the reader with an unique intepretation of Lacanian psychoanalysis and provides a compelling argument for a clean dedication to the politics of feminism. Jacques Lacan and Feminist Epistemology can be crucial examining for someone with pursuits in gender experiences, cultural reports, psychoanalytic stories or social and political theory.
By Peter Tschmuck
By Cyndi Banks
Offering views from quite a number specialists, either educational and nonacademic, this reference e-book examines the improvement of prisons within the usa and addresses the imperative modern matters and controversies of our prisons and legal systems.
• provides a accomplished but succinct heritage of the advance of men's and women's prisons within the usa
• deals various writer views that determine and discover the relevant concerns linked to prisons and imprisonment
• records the shift from an purpose to reform inmates in prisons to retribution and an try and eliminate all criminals from society, utilizing prisons for "warehousing" of undesired elements
• presents a whole reference advisor for the certainty of prisons and imprisonment as a punishment
By Tamara L. Bray
This quantity examines the commensal politics of early states and empires and gives a comparative standpoint on how nutrition and feasting have figured within the political calculus of archaic states in either the previous and New Worlds. It presents a cross-cultural and comparative research for students and graduate scholars fascinated about the archaeology of advanced societies, the anthropology of nutrients and feasting, historic statecraft, archaeological techniques to micro-political approaches, and the social interpretation of prehistoric pottery.
By M.P. de Baar,Machteld Löwensteyn,Marit Monteiro,A. Agnes Sneller,Lynne Richards
This interdependent selection of essays describes the existence and paintings of Anna Maria van Schurman from an interdisciplinary - or particularly multidisciplinary - method and may define a extra built-in but while subtly differentiated photograph. 9 contributions - from the disciplines of philosophy, theology, Dutch language and literature, highbrow and artwork historical past, and women's stories - in part in accordance with new resource fabric, shed mild on Van Schurman's principles on erudition and femininity, ethics and philosophy, in addition to on her non secular ideals, in the context of the early smooth highbrow neighborhood to which she belonged.
Audience: This number of essays will accordingly command the curiosity not just of historians, but in addition of students and scholars in theology, philosophy, paintings historical past, and women's studies.